Today I want to talk to you guys about a question that somebody asked me just last week and they said – Do You Get Depressed?
And the answer is – Yes I do get depressed
I know that I’m a coach and I know that I do confidence building and I know that I do motivational and basically helping to get everybody to their optimum self – you know feeling good about themselves all the time.
But this question was really pivotal because the depression that I’m talking about isn’t about the ‘clinical depression’. It’s not about the ones who are seriously dealing with far more deeper issues.
This kind of depression that they were asking me about is
- where a person gets overwhelmed with life a person just basically doesn’t know what to do or how to cope when there is just so much to be said and to be done where there are difficult decisions to be made
- where life and everything just feels confused and where you kind of have that black cloud (that everybody knows about – that analogy) black cloud over your headwhere it just feels that you can’t see clearly
- where you can’t see a way out of something you can’t see the alternatives and it feels suffocating that this is what life is an inability to think that something could change that something positive could actually happen to me and you’re caught up in this kind of spiral of thinking
That was the kind of depression she was asking me about and the answer to that was YES – I do experience through periods of my life.
- When I’m being challenged out of my comfort zone
- When I’m going to be taking on something new
So yes that does happen to me – and I wasn’t afraid to say yes I do get depressed. So with regards to that, then I shared with her what I do in order to overcome those things
Acknowledging That It’s Ok
To have those down days. It’s ok to feel overwhelmed and it’s ok to go ‘you know what today I just can’t cope’. Today I can’t be bothered to put on makeup, to go out and pretend to be cheerful, to kind of put on that mask so that I can present myself to the world. If my energy is not feeling like it, if my ‘self’ is just going – you know what have some time out. That’s OK.
So, first step is acknowledging that that is ok.
The second step once you have acknowledged that you are having one of those down days is
Processing What Is Going On.
So process the emotions, process the information, process what’s going on with regards to the situation or what’s going on around you.
What is it in your life that’s overwhelming you. Is it a particular situation? Is it finances, is it the job, is it the relationship not working.
You’ve got to know what it is that’s triggering it. There’s no point in trying to brush it under the carpet and hope that it’s all going to be fine and work itself out. You’ve got to acknowledge what it is.
And thirdly, once you’ve acknowledged all of those kinds of things
You’ve Got To Take Action
To fix it. So if it’s something to do with your finances then maybe you need to get another job. Maybe you need to change your situation. Maybe you need to change your spending habits so that you can kind of relieve that. Find a solution to what the problem is, don’t make that assumption that
I’ve acknowledged it, I’ve processed it and I know what’s going on, So that’s ok. No – you’ve got to move past that. You’ve got to start focusing on the positive and taking positive steps. So it’s important that you start to do that.
1) It’s acknowledging
2) Processing whether it’s an emotion whether it’s a situation what it is that needs to change
3) And then Taking action
Everything comes back down to taking action because without it – nothing changes nothing grows nothing progresses.
So I know I do the video and action just seems to keep coming back in, back and back but without action, nothing is going to happen in your life.
So the next time somebody says to you – Do You Get Depressed? Don’t hide away and go no, no, no life is perfect and I’m perfect and I’m altogether.
Be confident enough to say yes I get depressed – it’s the first step to actually moving past that and making that change and difference in your life. It’s all about building that confidence but taking small steps to get there.